Monday, July 20, 2009

light reading

With the best of intentions, I started to read "Anna Karenina." I got about 15 pages in and then got caught up in the craziness of getting ready for our trip to Utah for Jordan's wedding. Tolstoy is not something to be reading after a long and exhausting day so I went back to the bookshelf for something a little less mentally taxing. I chose "The Falcon at the Portal" by Elizabeth Peters, one of the books in her Amelia Peabody series. It is one of my favorite series ever! Amelia Peabody is an archaeologist in the early 1900's and she and her family have a tendency to get into all sorts of trouble while excavating pyramids. I love this series because Amelia is a character I LOVE!!! She is sassy, smart, and hilarious. This is one of the books I would almost love to see made into a movie. I say almost because, generally, after I see a movie based on a book I come away thinking "the book was better." I would love to see Amelia's adventures on screen, but I would hate for anyone to mess with the near-perfection that she is.

Now that I have finished "The Falcon at the Portal", I HAVE to keep reading to see what happens (even though I already know what happens as I have read the series at least 3 times already). If you are looking for a fun read, I completely recommend the series. Start with "Crocodile on the Sandbank" and prepare to be hooked!

2 comments:

  1. You've given me another series to read! Yay! I was wondering what I should read next and I'm going to the library this week. I've never even heard of this series before. I'm excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, I'm officially hooked! I bought Crocodile on the Sandbank online, read it, and then went back online and bought the next four... THANKS! I love them!

    ReplyDelete